Saturday, 23 November 2013

Presenting: The Flatlet

Today I was supposed to catch up on a lot of work I've been neglecting lately (Neens and long deadlines is not a good match), so as an excellent procrastination technique I instead decided it was finally time to get some half-decent pictures taken of my flatlet so I could show you what it's like living here, like I promised I would do in my previous blog post more than three weeks ago!

I absolutely love living here! The village is tiny and quiet, I'm finally learning where all the good dog walks are (I interrogate every dog walker I meet!) and I have joined the church choir, which keeps me busy of a Wednesday evening and Sunday morning. The flatlet itself (I call it that because it is really tiny - just one room and a bathroom. Oh, and stairs, mustn't forget the stairs!) is very cosy - it's got five (5!) huge skylights, one of which is right above my bed so I fall asleep under Cassiopeia whenever we have a clear, starry night. And I love the sound of rain on the windows, so it's equally cosy if it's stormy outside.

Messy nightstand - I'm working on a small
arts & crafts project, another ingenious
procrastination technique devised by yours truly.
I should write a book!

I love it so much here that I don't leave the flat if I don't have to. I find it so relaxing here - the first few days I kept falling asleep in my comfy chair whenever I tried to get some reading done. And Albert loves it here, too. When I was moving in - walking up and down and up and down two flights of stairs at least 20 times - he just went to lie down in one of the corners and he loved it so much there that eventually he couldn't even be bothered to run downstairs to the door every time I came crashing through it carrying something ridiculously heavy in my arms in an effort to reduce the number of trips up and down (and up and down) those stairs. Hey, I'm not complaining - I'm sure my bottom is getting increasingly pert with each day that passes - it's just hard work for a girl who's been living in a bungalow for the past 8 years! Anyway, as Albert seemed to have appropriated the corner in question, I put his bed there and he still loves it there. I have tried leaving him 'home alone' a few times (well, he's rarely alone as usually my landcouple [landlord + landlady = landcouple, obviously. The landcouple has landchildren. I mean, it goes without saying.] are downstairs most of the time) and when I come back he hasn't even jumped up on my bed for a sneeky snooze - he just stays in his bed in his corner, bless him. He is such a good monkey!

Good monkey. Very good monkey.
(That's a grounding mat, btw - I've got one in my bed, too!)

My bathroom is huuuge and has underfloor heating. Such luxury! It's brilliant! I've been trying to figure out how to use the thermostat, and I've learnt how to switch on the underfloor heating for short boosts (I think this is the Party Mode!). The other day I was watching a 4-hour EduVid (What? Don't we all call it that?) on YouTube, and I moved my computer into the bathroom and lay down on the floor to enjoy the heat. Well, naturally I fell asleep pretty much right away, so I may have to watch the first hour of that video again! Don't worry, I obviously cleaned the floor before I got comfy down there! Not just because it is a bathroom floor, but because that's where Albert has his food and water bowl. You know that song Mr. Lova Lova by Shaggy? Well, Albie is Mr. Slobba Lobba... So that's why his bowls are in the bathroom. It makes it really easy to clean up after him, and it also means the bathroom floor gets cleaned frequently, so it's a win-win, really.

Oops, time to do the laundry!

My new Tatty Teddy onesie!

The bathroom is mainly used for storage,
and the wash cloth on the floor is
for wiping up when Albert has been drinking.

Spare bed, clothes rack, more storage, washing machine...
The flatlet is more than fully equipped!
Oh, and the mess on the counter is my recycling 'system'.

USP: Lots of floor space -
with underfloor heating!

My daily routine (or attempts thereof)
is taped to the door. I might share it
if I ever learn to follow it!
My desk is a lovely old table placed between two of the skylights. It has got a protective mat on top of it, so I don't even have to worry about spilling tea! It is great to have something a bit more ergonomic for work again, the trestle table / garden chair combo I had in the bunker wasn't really working very well... Below is a photo of my work space with my 13" MacBook Pro and my trusty filofax (any fellow +Philofaxy addicts will quickly identify it as a personal Domino in purple. I love it, but it has become a bit small for me, so I recently ordered an a5 Original in retro yellow - oooh, can't wait!).  Oh, and I should mention that my QEII Silver Jubilee mug was featured in Grazia magazine during the Diamond Jubilee. Well, not my personal mug exactly, but one just like it. I'm such a trendsetter, right?

Dontcha just love my new tea mug?
Today is going to be a good day!

Neens's cosy corner.
Fairy lights, books, journal, cushions,
blanket, tea, grounding wire...
No wonder I sometimes
fall asleep when I'm meditating here!

I've started decorating the back of this 'kitchen unit'  to
make it look a bit more cheerful! The 'table' is actually a
huge storage box. The Norwegian flag is a present my
grandparents received on their wedding anniversary
and the date of their wedding is engraved on the stand.
My dad made the wooden jewellery box.

All my clothes, bedlinen, towels etc. are in this
chest of drawers. It is flanked by the two men in my life:
Albiepops and Winnie the Poo ;o)

At the footend of my bed there is a little
bookshelf, and some new colourful
fairy lights.

Disco fairies!
It is a bit strange to have a fridge again after going without one for over a year. I keep forgetting what I have in there and then the food goes off: not good. I have two hotplates and a little toaster oven in my kitchenette. Although it's a brilliant and compact design, having the kitchen sink that close to the hotplates is not ideal - the plates have become a bit rusty! I've managed to clean off the worst of it though, and I make sure I always wipe them dry after doing the dishes. I've never understood why some sinks have the taps fitted really high above the basin, the water just goes everywhere... Anyway, the silvery column in front of the toaster oven is my Berkey water filter (travel size). I've got some coriander and mint growing on my only window sill; the mint is thriving but the coriander seems a bit unhappy. Oh, and I'm in the process of making the doors under the sink/hotplates a bit more cheerful as well, but I need magnets so I can hang up more stuff. Oh dear, what's happening to my minimalist ways, now I want fridge magnets...?


Sunset outside my kitchenette skylight.
This is the 'kitchen unit' that is a bit unsightly from the back.
Clearly the front more than makes up for it!

Well, that's it, that's the grand tour of my flatlet! And now it is past 4 pm and the sun is setting, so I better take Albie out for a walk before it gets dark. And then I might try to get some work done before The Day of The Doctor. Oooooh, I really can't wait! I hope my broadband connection will be flawless!

Landgrandchild Heidi made me a star biscuit.
Am I lucky with my landfamily or what?
There was even a bouquet of flowers
waiting for me here when I moved in!

Our morning walk today - such a beautiful day!

What's the one thing that can make life in the
perfect flatlet even perfecter?
A Tatty Teddy onesie, of course!
Sooooo comfortable and warm and snug and lovely!

My wonderful former-in-laws are letting
me park for free at 'the bunker' whenever
I'm in the area - meaning Albert and I can
enjoy sunsets like this all the time without
having to pay £120 for an annual parking
permit! PS: That's actually the moon!